Vovousa is one of the villages of East Zagori. It is situated in the wooded valley of Aoos river, surrounded by high mountains in the center of National Park of North Pindos, just at the border of the National Park of Valia Calda. Vovousa’s landmark is the traditional stone bridge built in 1748 on Aoos river, which crosses in the village center. The inhabitants are mostly Vlachs, but there are also some Sarakatsans families, mainly engaged in forestry work and less on farming and tourism.
The village’s history begins in the 10th century with the first movement of the Vlachs in the Pindus mountains.
In 15 the century by the Treaty of “Valide Sultana” Vovousa joined Zagorohoria, fact that became a springboard for the development of the region.
In 18 the century Vovousa outnumbered 3000 inhabitants being a hub for trade and with various professions to flourish.
The decline of the village and the wider region began at the end of the Ottoman Empire, due to the abolition of privileges and predatory raids.
During the first half of the 20th century Vovousa lived in peace until 1940, when found at the center of the Greek-Italian war and the civil war soon after. As a result Vovousa was totally destroyed in 1943. The village reinhabited immediately after the end of hostilities and by following the broader socio-political developments in Greece took its current form.
Sightseeing in Vovousa
- St George’s church (1814)
- St Paraskevi’s church (Where Vovousa’s festivity take place every year, at the 26 of July)
- Panagia’s church
- Vovousa’s stone bridge (built in 1748 by Alexios Misios)
- Small stone bridge of Pountika